How do you balance work and life? The truth is you can’t.
There is no magical 50-50 split between your life on and off the job. There is no "right" answer.
But there is your own unique work+life "fit," or the "fit" between your work and personal realities that changes day-to-day and at major life transitions, like when you go back to school, start a business, have a baby, care for an aging relative or work in retirement.
Partner with your employer, capture the work flexibility you have and use it to actively manage your work+life fit in a way that works for you and your job.
This is a modern skill that most of us don't have, but that everyone can learn! That includes men, women, parents, non-parents, single, married, family caregivers, entrepreneurs, people who work for someone else, pre-retirees or those just starting their careers.
When you shift from work/life "balance" to find your work+life “fit”, you will:
- Talk about what you could have, not what you don't have
- See solutions, not problems
- Stop comparing, and judging what's "right" or "wrong"
- Move beyond the guilt of what you should do, to what you can do
Welcome to the work+life "fit" revolution!
Related Articles from FSG/WLF:
- Escape the 10 Tyrannies of Work/Life Balance
- Future of Work+Life Fit
- The Keys to Finding Work+Life "Fit"
- Where are Men in the Work/Life Conversation? They're Starting to Arrive
- Why "Fit" Matters and Make a Big, Meaningful Difference
- Three Reasons Why It's Work+Life "fit" (Not, Balance)
DON'T MISS our Work+Life Fit Updates!
LIKE the Work+Life FIt Facebook Page